The very day we left Canada my dad had a heart attack. By the time we arrived home in England we had a call from my mom telling us the details.
The morning of May 17, 2012 dad had been uncomfortable for the whole day. They drove home from Calgary and by the evening he decided to go to the hospital. Sure enough HEART ATTACK. After I heard the news I fell to my knees and prayed to my Heavenly Father for strength and knowledge on what to do and say. I felt so far away and completely helpless. I decided that if the plan was to insert stints then I would stay in England, if it was bypass surgery then the kids and I would fly back home. Everyone wanted stints but unfortunately his angiogram was terrible and multiple bypass surgery was evident. 7 days later I was on a plane flying back to Canada.
May 26, 2012 Saturday
The kids were perfect. It was hard to fly by myself with 2 kids; having to pee while holding a baby off the floor was difficult, but we did it! All 9 hours
The first thing I did after landing and grabbing some lunch was to visit dad in the Calgary Foothills Cardiac Care Unit. He had been in the hospital ever since I left 1 week earlier. It's strange to see old, diabetic, seriously in trouble men and woman walking around the cardiac floor, knowing your dad is one of them. He looked normal ( a little fragile with fear of what had happened and what would happen) but otherwise just like I had left him. Nobody knew what to say, or do. We all just tried to stay positive and joke like normal.
I stayed at Jim and Jenn's house for the first week while we waited for a surgery date. They were so kind and gave me the master bed and bath, and watched Ava while I made the daily trips into town to visit with mom and dad.
Breakfast at Jim and Jenn's
We did lots of fun things trying to take our minds off of the surgery. Like: Swinging in the backyard
Playing at the park.
Watched Gage's T ball game
May 29, 2012 Tuesday
Smile were on everyone's faces when we finally got a surgery date. It was still a whole week away but the good news was dad could be discharged until then.
Everyone's spirits lifted now that dad was more comfortable staying with Scott and Michelle. I also moved into their home to help so mom could go back to work in Lethbridge.
Scott's 28th birthday was just a few days away so we did a little bike helmet shopping. I remember Dad saying after we left that his vision was blurry. He thinks it was a combination of medication, blood pressure and not enough food. Dad was trying to drop weight like crazy and we had to constantly remind him to eat.
A little too small?
Ava wanted her picture taken with all the bikes.
June 2, 2012
On Saturday we partied at the lake. It was a nice day but the water was chilly. The wind picked up and unfortunately the 'boys' boat got stuck at the end of the lake and the 'girls' had to go and save them!
Birthday smores with GIANT marshmallows from Walmart, YES PLEASE!
Everyone tried to have a good time. We wanted the kids to know what was happening with Grandpa but didn't want them to worry. I told Ava that Grandpa had a broken heart and it needed to be fixed by a doctor. I explained that this was a scary surgery and lots of people were sad. I think the hardest was to watch my dad go day to day. He was lots of things, sometimes happy sometimes sad. Sometimes determined sometimes mad. He would talk himself out of having surgery and would want to just go home. He would say dying wasn't that bad and that he would take his chances. It's heart breaking to hear your father talk like that, but I wasn't in his shoes. He would get tired quickly and often reminisced about things in the past that he couldn't change. He asked me a lot if I enjoyed my childhood and if I felt like I was loved.
Sometimes it was just me, the kids and uncle Scott, so to keep busy we went for walks to the park, and the HUSKY for slurpee's (absolutely a must when I go to Canada, slurpee's are the best.)
We took trips to Costco with Scott and Michelle. This is the very first time they had been inside a Costco, and Owens first time in a shopping cart.
Weekends were extra busy and emotionally lifting. Everyone made an effort to get together and celebrate family. It was awesome to see Dave and Leslie again and to meet their new little one, Isabelle. She wasn't born when we first vacationed in Canada 3 weeks earlier.
June 11, 2012 Monday (25 days post Heart Attack)
Finally surgery day. Emotionally drained and ready for what the Lord had in store, Dad woke up got ready hugged and kissed Scott and I and left for the hospital with mom. I called my husband Dave to keep my mind off of the reality of what was going to happen. I watched a You Tube video showing a real open heart bypass surgery and was amazed at what the surgeons could do; but the images of a non beating heart kept flashing through my mind. I packed our bags and left to go and stay with Jim and Jenn in Strathmore. I knew mom would be staying at the hospital all day and I didn't want the kids to be a bother when she got home.
We kept busy in Strathmore planning a 4th birthday party for Addi. She wanted a rainbow party and boy did we brainstorm. Mom kept us updated but it was mostly "Dad is out of surgery...they didn't need to do a blood transfusion...he is stable and in ICU." 2 days later we decided to all take a trip into town for a visit. Only family members adults could go into the ICU but it was good to see and talk to dad. I had a hard time seeing him in the state he was but I made sure not to show it.
Heavenly Father had blessed us all and he was alive.
Heavenly Father had blessed us all and he was alive.
June 14, 2012 Thursday (3 days post surgery)
I planned a trip to the Royal Tyrrell Dinosaur Museum. Ava loves dinosaurs and I knew we would have fun. Grandma came too, I think it was good for her to get out of the hospital. It was a sunny warm day and we had lots of fun together.
On our way back from the museum we got the news that dad was being released from ICU and into a step down unit. We drove directly to the hospital to see him. I think this was a hard move for dad, he shared a room with 4 other bypass patients and all of them had only 1 toilet. It takes a long time to get up and walk to the bathroom, you need helpers and it made dad anxious. He started doing strange things like, not eating or drinking much to prevent bowl movements. He had a hard time concentrating and keeping up with conversation, but he needed lots of support and love. Ava was a little "wierded" out seeing grandpa in such a state but I made sure to calm her and answer questions whenever she was scared.
Dr Kieser had rerouted 2 arteries from Dad's chest and taken a 3rd from his arm which they cut into 3 pieces to make a total of 5 bypasses! News from the surgeon was that his arteries are narrow and that this condition could be hereditary. Fair WARNING given to all Robison kids.
June 17, 2012 Father's Day Sunday
It was officially 1 week post surgery and dad was more then itching to go home. It consumed him. The nurses went day to day with what they expected and any hiccup made it hard for dad to see an end to his hospital stay. The grand kids made cards for Grandpa and we staggered our visit's on Fathers Day. He was now in a smaller room with only one roommate and it was hard to move around. Dad was making good progress and would walk out to the elevator area to visit with us.
Scott and Michelle had colds and didn't want to spread the germs so they wore masks, which made Ava laugh!
Sending a little love to their dad (David Miller) on Father's Day
June 18, 2012 Monday
Dad was finally released from the hospital! It was going to be uncharted territory for all of us not having nurses and 24h help, but sooo exciting. The 3 hour drive home was stressful, any bump or curve made it hard for dad to keep his chest still. Before leaving the hospital a nurse had done a bone check and pushed on his sternum with all her weight. Dad said he was freaking that the wires would pull through but it all held together. That little test gave him the confidence that he could be on his own. He left with a new best friend, his heart pillow. He had to hold it against his chest when sitting in a car or standing up, but coughing and sneezing were the very worst. Dad learned a little trick from his roommate to hold his nose when he felt a sneeze coming. There were a few times though that he didn't catch it in time and the anguish that he went through was terrible to watch.
I extended my stay in Canada 2 extra weeks. We had all hoped the surgery would happen quicker then it did, but unfortunately we had to wait a long time. I didn't want to leave with dad not feeling confident. Mom went back to work full time and we just stayed and played, made lunches and dinners and drove dad to his blood work check ups.
We went to the splash park behind Grandmas house LOTS. Ava's favorite place to be.
Ava checked grandmas strawberry patch daily for red berries.
You have to pick them fast before the birds peck them.
We walked around the block and gradually the town with Grandpa.
Owen started eating big boy food!
We played dress up with an old Rodeo Queen hat.
I also tried on my wedding and graduation dresses for Ava.
We made crafts
and visited with Great Grandma Klassen
I went to a long time friends Bridal shower.
Congratulations Lacey!
July 1, 2012 Canada Day
We all got up and drove to the Raymond Parade. Ava has never been to a 'candy' parade before and she was super excited to run out and gather as much candy as she could. Her favorite was the horses with sparkle tattoos on their bums and mine was the Mounties.
After the parade we took out the boat and celebrated Jim's 32nd birthday!
This was Ava's and Owen's first time on Grandpas boat.
Ava age 4 Owen age 8 monthsBecause dad wasn't allowed to ride in the boat yet, we had to drive it on our own. Unfortunately Jenn's sunglasses and watch were lost in the lake when she quickly jumped into the water after the 2 little girls fell off the dingy.
Dad wasn't able to cut his hair the entire hospital ordeal and then when he got home he tried to let it grow, but eventually he couldn't stand it any more. We went out back and he buzzed as much as he could reach and I got the rest of it for him. I haven't seen my dad with hair for years!
July 11, 2012 Wednesday
A few last pictures with Grandma and Grandpa at the Calgary Airport.
The 8 weeks were long, but worth it. I will go back home to help ANY and all members of my family. I am so grateful to have brothers and sister in laws who love the gospel and serve the Lord. All 3 of my brothers were able to give my father a priesthood blessing. We fasted as a family for a steady handed surgeon and quick recovery.
We truly grew together over this unexpected trial.







No comments:
Post a Comment